Summer Home Maintenance To-Do’s
Summer is “officially” right around the corner, but it sure feels like it’s already here! Now that schools are out and the heat has turned up, we’re ready to start thinking about the home maintenance checklist that comes with the season. We’ll mostly focus on ones for the exterior of your home, as that’s where we specialize.
Here’s a list of our top 5 Summer Home Maintenance To-Do’s:
1. Inspect roof: Now is a great time to check for missing or damaged shingles, as well as any leaks. Also, keep an eye out for mold or anything else that may have caused wear and tear to your roof throughout the harsh winter months.
2. Inspect and repair deck: Winter can be very rough on your patio and deck. Now that the snow and ice (and freezing and thawing) is gone to stay, it’s time to restore it to its full glory. Get ready to scrub, power wash, refinish, and repair as needed.
3. Wash windows: Washing windows from the outside is not frequently on the cleaning list. However, summer is the time to do it! Using window cleaner is likely sufficient, but if it is the only time the windows have been cleaned that year it may require a bit more elbow grease. Be prepared to also use a bucket of soapy water and a sponge.
4. Add a layer of mulch: Mulch is good for your lawn and great for your curb appeal. When you re-mulch your landscaping, remove some of the old mulch before doing so. Don’t forget mulch is also great to use around the base of your trees to protect them!
5. Clean gutters: Small limbs, leaves and other debris that have built up through the colder months should now be removed. Keep pests out and avoid water damage by keeping your guttering system clear throughout the entire year.
We hope you and your family enjoy a wonderful summer season!